Friday, August 1, 2014

Gantt Chart Planning

Post no.17

For today's PPM session, we had some planning exercises for our Gantt Chart, and did some risk assessments. I really liked this exercise! 

So we started out with Risk Assessments, we were required only to complete three but I figured since I already have a couple of risks in my mind, why not just fill them all in?


GANTT EXERCISE

So first, we were told to plan out our FYP tasks AS DETAILED AS POSSIBLE (my weakness which I am trying to fix) and separate them into different sections. I took the initiative of collecting all the colors I need for different departments because I knew I was going to move them around later and that I was going to be confused if I didn't.

I left gaps in between some sections because I thought I needed to execute some tasks first before the others according to hierarchy. So I mentally arranged them to from the highest to the lowest - for time where I would begin and end the project. I scribbled and arrow with the words 'Music First' because I only could execute the sketching after I have found my sounds from the 3rd Pink Content section.


However, it didn't really matter that I did that because we were instructed to arrange out tasks in completion order next. So I ripped it all off and rearranged them, 3 types of tasks at a time.


After that we had to decide how long we would want to carry out our work.

We had 2 months holiday + 14 weeks of the Final semester + 2 Weeks of Holiday = 24 weeks.

Obviously I'm going to be resting for at least a month so I decided on 20 weeks.

I separated them and gave each task a maximum of 2 weeks each. It had taken up 19 weeks. As you can see I have an extra week (The little green circle out of nowhere) to leave for the buffer time or emergencies.

I boxed up the tasks in red to signify the important milestones as well.

I'm glad, because I have always found it such a drag to execute gantt charts.

PS. I visited June's Diploma Class mini Digital Interactive exhibition, and discovered that I really needed to research on the animation plug-ins for my display. Their work had interesting ideas and their graphics were polished. But all of them (like 90%) executed it in Flat Design/Vector graphics. Not a lot of personal style or coding there, but their animations skills are really strong!

Happiness Level : 7

1 comment:

  1. Very neatly drawn on a paper. I use a gannt chart software (non-microsoft) to draw all my gantt chart diagrams. Its an online gantt chart tool called creately.

    ReplyDelete