Saturday, June 1, 2013

Media Cultures: Brainstorming 1

Post no. 1

I was told I could regurgitate anything I could get from my cranium that relates to Question 6 and it would count as a post.

Alright, the popular uses of Digital Cameras and how it affects creative professionals in the   industry.

Notice how I didn't put up Canon branded cameras. I'm unbiased like that. Plus, the rivalry between the two brands annoys the hell out of me.



When I think of Digital cameras, I think of the two types of cameras which are used by both amateurs and professionals; being the ever so popular compact digital cameras and the more Professional DSLRs (a.k.a a Digital single-lens reflex camera. Prior to owning one, I actually had to Google the acronyms. Aren't I ever so qualified to even call myself a designer.) Also, you have the semi-pro DSLRs, but I pretty much always categorize them under the cameras-that-amateurs-get-to-look-professional category.

Manual cameras, I'd just think about people who are extremely talented just like the Human Camera, Stephen Wiltshire. And of course your traditional film cameras that takes ages to develop.
Speaking of manual cameras, INSTAX cameras have been rather popular lately. Although it's expensive, people still want them. A sense of nostalgia, I guess?

Anyway, from what I know about both types of digital cameras are that some of them contain presets like effects, color correct, blur and such. This way, allowing lesser professionals access to greater photos. This definitely dangers the industry as polished photos could be taken more easily with lesser effort and cost. Amateurs that have the capability of owning a DSLR however, but take really bad photos..hmm okay I shall not get into that in case it gets too personal.

But if I were to critically look upon the use of DSLRs, real professional photographers do not really have a lot of competition. So far in my entire life of living (I may be exaggerating a wee bit), I rarely come across a real polished, unphoto-shopped picture that could have the same, or even higher qualities as the top photographers that are in BEHANCE or any professional site for that matter. As long as the super professionals are updating themselves with new ways and software to improve their work, I don't think they should worry about the rise of the digital cameras because compact cameras only takes one so far.

Photography acquires skill, precision, and long years of practice to perfect. And through experience, comes awesome results. Even though I do posses my own personal DSLR, I'd still go to a professional to get my portrait, or even my passport photo taken. Oh, it's sounding a lot like blabbler now.

Of course, people nowadays rather purchase compact cameras due to its durability and size and such. Maybe increasing the demand for compact cameras being used by ammeters and hence, decreasing the supply of professional photographers in the market which then would increase their demand instead?

Oh.. I think I miss my business studies.

So far I have been comparing of the advancements of digital cameras would affect the professional photographers in the market. Notice how the question states 'creative professionals'. Abstract. Could be anyonee.

Okay, the rise of the digital cameras may also affect videography professionals..which are also photography professionals.. hmm. Excuse me for my uncertainty, I just needed to do some lateral touching around the question before zero-ing in on my choice, Instagram.

Okay this just dawned upon me, if there were more people uploading their data from their little digital cameras, somehow it would give professionals more inspiration and ideas from the varieties of photos that are immediately shared on social networking or photography sites. These opens up a whole new library which they could get their ideas from, not only photographers but all creative professionals alike.

They could do some data mining from these digitally taken photos and therefore enhance their professional business. Companies could observe the behaviors of their customers to reduce costs and plan for future promotions and deals. For example, clothes boutiques? People on Facebook take photos of their outfits and call them 'OutFit Of The Day' aka OOTD and post them up. (people actually use their mobile phones more than digital cameras now) Therefore, giving a heads up on what the target audiences really want in their woad robe. As for creative professionals, these work the same way like.' what effects should come up next', or 'what design should be best implemented on a product'.

Photographs, do paint a thousand words. And with millions of them, they paint billions. Just enough info for all creative professionals to take advantage of.

Will be brainstorming on PhotoShop and Instagram in my next post.






No comments:

Post a Comment