Friday, June 29, 2012

The Process Model

Lecturer: Daniel ; Media Cultures and Histories

Topic of Discussion: "THE PROCESS MODEL"
Post no. 4


From what I understand from the slides and lectures, this Process Model is a communication theory of the work of Shannon and Weaver during the World war II.

This theory works is very technical as it involves only transferring information from one end to the other. AND, during the process of transferring information, there would be noise as well. Allow me to give an example that could relate itself to the process model.

INFORMATION SOURCE : Myself

TRANSMITTER: My desktop

NOISE: Slow loading speed of my blog page

RECEIVER:Blog reader's computer

DESTINATION: Blog Reader

I have read that this flow of information has its drawbacks. It does not have any denotations or meanings as it only does a straight, calculated job. It also does not require or give any feedback between users or computers. However, these matters would not be necessary as WWII was taking part at the time. Efficiency and accuracy of information was much more needed than a feeling based system. This flow could also be considered as a strategy to win the war at the time. You'd never know?

I noticed how noise is apart of the flow. Somehow, to Shannon and Weaver, information transfer would most definitely involve noise. Is it true though? Looking at the technological advances these days, with noise being tackled and troubleshooted after years and years of research and development, should noise still be compelled to be present in the flow? I'm sure not every single form of information transfer involves noise all the time.

Take Facebook chat for example. Two users could be back and forth without noise for a period of time. Thus, eliminating the 'Noise Source' in the Transmission Model. Of course, there would be a chance that one of the computers would get struck by lightning, exploding the internet modem and cause a whole lot of noise. But to think, maybe this transmission model could only apply to that particular era, at that particular time.

Next, what interests me is the way information in categorized.
It is divided into two forms. Entropy and Redundant Information.

Entropy was new for me so I was a little excited to know what it meant. To my knowledge, I took the definition of redundant information as boring, useless, or something not really needed.

It was surprising to learn that redundant information according to the T>R module meant predictability and conventionality and Entropy, the contrary of it. In my opinion, redundancy in information would be dull and boring for me. Like reading the Terms and Conditions of any programs I download. I don't do that! No one ever does. However, it could be useful at times. I learnt from my first semester in Icon Designing that having a redundant, conventional and recognizable icon would help the usability and comprehension towards my User Interface. So that's a plus point for redundancy!

Entropy information sounds more interesting. It's defined as new, something out of the blue and unusual information. Somehow this reminds me of Extroverts like how redundant information would remind me of Introverts. There's some Binary Opposition happening there. *laughs*

New information could be entertaining, could be otherwise. As for icon usability, I don't think its a very good idea to be creating something so abstract no one else but myself could understand.

So, this transmission model just works to deliver entropic or redundant messages straight from the transmitter to the receiver without any feedback or emotions.


-Charissa ONG

ReferencesCommunicationTheory.org

No comments:

Post a Comment