Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Intertextuality

Lecturer: Daniel; Media Cultures and Histories


Topic of discussion: "Intertextuality"
Post no. 3


Intertextuality! Its strange how the the word is underlined as if its an error. I found today's lecture rather intriguing. It made me excavate the different, uncharted corners of my mind. What I have been exposed to all my life, shed in a different light.


The word 'intertextuality' is defined by the shaping of texts' meanings by other texts. I have realised that one of my favourite forms of entertainment; parodies on Youtube as well as the parodies DJ's perform on my local radio stations have a great intertextuality element to it. As mentioned in the lecture, intertextuality plays with the familiarity and common aspects from original texts. And by modifying them ever so slightly, they trigger humor facets in those parodies. 


For example, one of my favorite youtubers, RyanHiga does a parody on the occurrence of the Rihanna and Chris Brown incident.




The reason why that particular video has a smashing 23 Million views is that it had great intertextuality and reference to the singers' songs in the script. What made the video even more relevant is that those lyrics and songs do come together in a nice little package that could convince the audience of its story. The other reason would also be that this video was uploaded at the right time the incident happened, when no information was out in the news regarding the incident. Hence, this video somehow feeds the hungry mass with the title, 'Why Chris Brown beat Rihanna'.


However, these intertextualities would only have effect on a certain target audience that has lived, or experienced that text during that era. What I found most interesting is about how intertextuality can be perceived as 'creative bankruptcy'. I think if intertextuality is used in the right way; with new creative input that would mesh together in harmony, it could be considered as creativity. On the other hand, intertextuality with an idea of plagiarism would definitely fall under 'bankruptcy' of creativity.


What I'd like to conclude is that intertextuality is used as a form of personal and internal connection between the user and host. It builds a form of trust as conventional and familiar aspects are being used in those experiences.


-Charissa Ong





No comments:

Post a Comment