Friday, June 6, 2014

PPM - Statement of Intent (Draft)

Post no.3

Statement of Intent – Draft

Today I had the chance to consult Sweii (PPM lecturer) about the Statement of Intent draft. After much thought and research, I managed to narrow down my idea to what I might execute for my final year project.

I have decided to merge both projection mapping and wearable media into one installation artefact.

We discussed a few important notes:
1. It is going to have an entertainment or utility factor?
2. Is there going to be a narrative? I should keep my options open for this one. I would very much prefer the multiplayer aspect rather than an individual participation.
3. Maybe this could be the opportunity for me to show my conceptualization skills. Could I incorporate this installation into an advertisement?

AS mentioned in my previous posts, I would want to have my installation bring forth emotion and enjoyment. So right now, my plan is leaning more towards the entertainment side rather than its utility. One of the reasons why I chose to do so is because of this existing Bluetooth phone glove I saw over the internet. Why would I want to remake something that has already been done?

Besides, I figured people would remember experiences more. I have to measure my capabilities as well, I really need to be realistic and depend on my past experiences with installations. This would be a prototype, I hope next time it would be wireless just like one of those rave rings I got where you could just put it on easily.

What’s next?
What I am going to do:
- Start thinking of a concept I could relate to my project. (I have a ridiculous concept on this one.
- I’ll bold it and you can read it after this list)
- Further research on existing technology that relates to what I might be doing.


Ridiculous Concept:

I have been to ONE rave in my life and a couple of concerts. Since I was planning to use clapping as one of the prime gestures (and also the most primitive of the bunch) to initiate the gameplay which would then output through projection mapping, I thought that I could have this technology be part of parties and concerts where people could interact with the displays and mood of the concerts.

People go to concerts and raves for the music. Not about getting high and dying because of overdose. So I figured, to keep everyone sober and excited, why not have them control the excitement of the concert? When they clap according to the beat, it could control the hype of the displays and special effects. (In the future, why not involve fireworks and stage effects as well?) This way everyone would LOVE to participate and have their feedback to the concert as well.
Maybe it would work similarly to the Gladiator fights in the Colloseum centuries ago where the crowd decides the fate of the losing Gladiator just by thumbing up or thumbing down? Gestures. Maybe this similar concept could be applied to these concerts as feedback if the DJ is doing a good work or not.

There’s something about the ‘Law of conformation’. People get excited when people are clapping in unison. These are all just a couple of thoughts that are from the top of my head.
Feedbacks are important as well for the betterment of the product. That is why both big and small companies like Google, Facebook and such placed such great importance on them.

Lead to action:
Research more.
Feedback to self: There’s A LOT of cognitive bias in this post. Contradictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment